26 October 2015, Hanoi, Vietnam: As part of celebrations to mark the United Nations Urban Month, UN-Habitat Vietnam together with the Academy of Managers for Construction and Cities and Portland State University organised an Urban Leadership and Innovation Mini-Ba in Hanoi.
The pace of change – whether technological and socio-economic or political - is rapidly outstripping the capacity of governments to respond. Therefore urban public leaders and officials confront an urgent “innovation imperative” to discover new and more cost-effective ways of organising and delivering urban construction and technology services.
A “Ba” is a shared and safe learning space that accelerates the flowering of innovative thinking and practice. The Mini-Ba provided an opportunity to understand sustainable urban leadership and innovation challenges and responses in Vietnam and the US state of Oregon and discuss innovative urban breakthroughs of mutual interest to Vietnam and the US. It also helped to enhance cross-cultural relations between Vietnamese and US actors in the field.
Speaking at the Mini-Ba, Academy of Managers for Construction and Cities Vice Director Pham Van Bo presented the urban challenges facing Vietnamese cities and the responses. UN-Habitat Programme Manager, Nguyen Quang introduced UN-Habitat’s leadership training model. While Oregon Metropolitan Representative Tom Hughes presented the city’s METRO model which is widely recognised as innovative practice for urban governance and regional planning. During the Mini-Ba, participants were divided into groups to discuss innovations learned from both sides and solutions that will provide solutions to urban development.
- Urban Leadership and Innovation Mini-Ba
- Viet Nam plans launch of City Prosperity Index
- Regional Planning and Linkages for Southern Key Economic Zone Workshop in Ho Chi Minh City
- Policy Dialogue on Right to Adequate Housing: Roles of Urban Communities in the Housing Process
- Training on Developing result based Monitoring and Evaluation System in Urban Sector
- Urban Planning for City Leaders
- Initiatives to Promote Local Economic Development
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 2
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 1
- Leadership Training for Sustainable City Development Strategy of Danang
- New collaboration signed aims to support the Government of Viet Nam in the implementation of the Viet Nam Statistical Development Strategy 2011-2020
- United Nations Resident Coordinator leading UN-Habitat delegation to have courtesy visits to Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Public Administration and Minister of Construction
- Workshop "Capacity Builging to Develop Climate Change Response towards Green-Growth"
- Quang Nam Green Growth Investment Forum (PDF 475KB)
- Training on Multi Sector Investment Planning
- ‘Local to Global’ Art-Craft Industry Dialogues
- Government of Viet Nam and the United Nations signed new One Plan for 2012-2016
- National Workshop on Project "Urban Observatory System in Vietnam"
- Training of Trainers Workshop on Housing Policy Development
- World Habitat Day in Vietnam
- UN-HABITAT, partners hold consultative leadership workshop for Vietnamese Province *Will open a separate file
- Consultative Leadership Workshop for Quang Nam PDS
- Kick-off workshop of 'Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment (VAA) of Hoi An' project as a initial step of integrated approaches to the development of Hoi An Eco-city
- Workshop on Consultation and Technical Assistance to National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030
- Vietnamese Study Tour in Korea on Low-Income Housing
- Workshop "Urban Indicators and Urban Management in Vietnam"
- International Conference on "Hanoi Millennium: City Past and Future"
- Joint Hoi An Eco-city Scoping Workshop
- A proactive member of UN family and a trusted partner working together with people for a better urban life - Viet Nam team’s motto to set forth the next HCPD