(Ho Chi Minh City, 23 October 2014) In order to provide technical support to improve knowledge and share experience in urban planning among Ho Chi Minh City and other provinces and cities in the Southern Key Economic Zone (SKEZ), United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-Habitat) together with World Bank and Vietnam National University - Ho Chi Minh City organised a three-day Regional Planning and Linkages for Southern Key Economic Zone workshop in HCM City which brought together the Central Economic Commission, relevant ministries and departments, city and provincial leaders, international organisations, research centres and universities.
Rapid urbanisation together with a high urban growth rate not only generates urban economic growth which bolsters the national economy, but also creates additional challenges in delivering accessible housing and urban services, and leads to natural resource depletion and environmental degradation. In addition, urban sprawl, the loss of agricultural land, and the impact of climate change exacerbate urban development problems. In that context, regional planning and linkages are effective approaches and the key to ensuring optimal spatial allocation of social-economic activities, and equal development between regions.
The workshop reviewed and suggested solutions for regional spacial planning to address the challenges of urban development in regional context. Dr. Nguyen Quang, Habitat Prgogamme Manager said “Strategic regional planning is a new approach focusing on local initiatives and coordination among provinces to mobilise valuable resources for regional development. This approach asks for creative local governance with a mechanism for integrated management and collaboration in all sectors of a region, ensuring effective links between economic development planning and infrastructure investment ”.
The workshop shared international experiences in integrating land use and transportation planning and land value capture in regional development plan to promote sustainable economic development. Dr. Madhu Raghunath, World Bank’s Senior Urban Special said “The integration of land use and transport planning is very critical to make a region more livable. For the Southern Economic Region, better land-use planning will also help strengthen regional integration, maximise the efficiency of investments and especially reduce the spatial footprints of regional growth”.
Each city needs a knowledgeable, wise and strongly committed leader who can inspire people for city development. Dr. Pablo Vaggione, author of famous publication “Urban Planning for City Leaders” with his presentations on role of leaders to promote partnership and financial resource for urban development as well as mechanism to mobilise stakeholders in regional planning and linkages have received special attentions from participants.
Associate Professor/ Dr. Phan Thanh Binh, Director of Vietnam National University - Ho Chi Minh City said “The workshop has proved a great opportunity for leaders and officials in SKEZ to improve knowledge and strengthen overall capacity about urban and regional planning, integrate land use planning with public transportation, local governance, partnerships and financial resources for urban development. I hope that after this workshop, we can have recommendations on policies and regional linkages frame work for effective and sustainable development”.
- Urban Leadership and Innovation Mini-Ba
- Viet Nam plans launch of City Prosperity Index
- Regional Planning and Linkages for Southern Key Economic Zone Workshop in Ho Chi Minh City
- Policy Dialogue on Right to Adequate Housing: Roles of Urban Communities in the Housing Process
- Training on Developing result based Monitoring and Evaluation System in Urban Sector
- Urban Planning for City Leaders
- Initiatives to Promote Local Economic Development
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 2
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 1
- Leadership Training for Sustainable City Development Strategy of Danang
- New collaboration signed aims to support the Government of Viet Nam in the implementation of the Viet Nam Statistical Development Strategy 2011-2020
- United Nations Resident Coordinator leading UN-Habitat delegation to have courtesy visits to Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Public Administration and Minister of Construction
- Workshop "Capacity Builging to Develop Climate Change Response towards Green-Growth"
- Quang Nam Green Growth Investment Forum (PDF 475KB)
- Training on Multi Sector Investment Planning
- ‘Local to Global’ Art-Craft Industry Dialogues
- Government of Viet Nam and the United Nations signed new One Plan for 2012-2016
- National Workshop on Project "Urban Observatory System in Vietnam"
- Training of Trainers Workshop on Housing Policy Development
- World Habitat Day in Vietnam
- UN-HABITAT, partners hold consultative leadership workshop for Vietnamese Province *Will open a separate file
- Consultative Leadership Workshop for Quang Nam PDS
- Kick-off workshop of 'Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment (VAA) of Hoi An' project as a initial step of integrated approaches to the development of Hoi An Eco-city
- Workshop on Consultation and Technical Assistance to National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030
- Vietnamese Study Tour in Korea on Low-Income Housing
- Workshop "Urban Indicators and Urban Management in Vietnam"
- International Conference on "Hanoi Millennium: City Past and Future"
- Joint Hoi An Eco-city Scoping Workshop
- A proactive member of UN family and a trusted partner working together with people for a better urban life - Viet Nam team’s motto to set forth the next HCPD