(Hanoi) From 5th to 7th December 2013, UN-Habitat along with Hanoi’s People Committee, Vietnam Urban Planning and Development Association (VUPDA) and Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) organised an international course "Urban Planning for City Leaders" in Hanoi.
Among the 50 participants, many included representatives of Ministries, leaders of Hanoi city, high-ranking officials and relevant departments, representatives of MoC's related divisions, agencies and institutes, representatives of associations, universities and other development partners.
Vietnam’s rapid urbanisation and population growth, although boost the national economy, but also put additional challenges in delivering accessible housing, urban services and preventing environmental degradation. Hanoi, as the capital city, faces challenges of urban poverty, loss of agricultural land and competiveness from local and global firms, congestion and pollution as a result of urban sprawl.
For that reason, over the three days course, leaders were taught the importance and value of urban planning, following the guidelines of 'Urban Planning of City Leaders', an initiative of UN-Habitat.
giving opening speech
Mr. Nguyen Quang, Habitat Programme Manager commented: “the training is delivered in scientific ways to equip and train participants with knowledge of urban planning instruments as well as strategies and leadership skills to address challenges related to sustainable urban development.. When leaders have their suitable tools, and knowledge on this field, their decisions will be more realistic toward sustainable development".
"Urban Planning for City Leaders", giving lecture
Mr. Pablo Vaggione, the principal author of the book Urban Planning for City Leaders, commented that public transportation remained as the primary challenge for Hanoi. “There are two important components in constructing public transportation” he said, “the first being the alignment of values and policies with transport policies and the second being that the different transportation systems must be interconnected regardless of technological advancement.”
Among the other solutions to traffic congestion, the course included different sections such as creation of public spaces that allow social and political participation from the community, addressing the informality in urban development and allocation of slums, opportunities in urban planning well as fostering partnerships and foreign investments for the city.
"With the collaboration between UN-Habitat, VUPDA and KOICA, the course hopes to increase awareness and ownership of political leaders and decisions makers to create a sustainable urban planning towards, as a vision of 2030, a harmonised Hanoi between socio-economic development and environmental protection", Mr. Tran Ngoc Chinh, President of VUPDA said.
- Urban Leadership and Innovation Mini-Ba
- Viet Nam plans launch of City Prosperity Index
- Regional Planning and Linkages for Southern Key Economic Zone Workshop in Ho Chi Minh City
- Policy Dialogue on Right to Adequate Housing: Roles of Urban Communities in the Housing Process
- Training on Developing result based Monitoring and Evaluation System in Urban Sector
- Urban Planning for City Leaders
- Initiatives to Promote Local Economic Development
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 2
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 1
- Leadership Training for Sustainable City Development Strategy of Danang
- New collaboration signed aims to support the Government of Viet Nam in the implementation of the Viet Nam Statistical Development Strategy 2011-2020
- United Nations Resident Coordinator leading UN-Habitat delegation to have courtesy visits to Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Public Administration and Minister of Construction
- Workshop "Capacity Builging to Develop Climate Change Response towards Green-Growth"
- Quang Nam Green Growth Investment Forum (PDF 475KB)
- Training on Multi Sector Investment Planning
- ‘Local to Global’ Art-Craft Industry Dialogues
- Government of Viet Nam and the United Nations signed new One Plan for 2012-2016
- National Workshop on Project "Urban Observatory System in Vietnam"
- Training of Trainers Workshop on Housing Policy Development
- World Habitat Day in Vietnam
- UN-HABITAT, partners hold consultative leadership workshop for Vietnamese Province *Will open a separate file
- Consultative Leadership Workshop for Quang Nam PDS
- Kick-off workshop of 'Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment (VAA) of Hoi An' project as a initial step of integrated approaches to the development of Hoi An Eco-city
- Workshop on Consultation and Technical Assistance to National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030
- Vietnamese Study Tour in Korea on Low-Income Housing
- Workshop "Urban Indicators and Urban Management in Vietnam"
- International Conference on "Hanoi Millennium: City Past and Future"
- Joint Hoi An Eco-city Scoping Workshop
- A proactive member of UN family and a trusted partner working together with people for a better urban life - Viet Nam team’s motto to set forth the next HCPD