(Danang, 14/10/2012) Danang Institute for Socio-Economic Development (DISED), United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) in collaboration with Centre for Leadership and Policy Studies of Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Public Administration (HCMA), GIZ and Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) organized the course on “Leadership training for Sustainable City Development Strategy of Danang” to increase capacity and ownership local leaders in planning and implementing development policies and programs for Danang City. Distinguished guests attending the training course were officials of DISED, representatives of departments, boards and branches of People’s Committee, People’s Council and senior officials of concerned agencies and boards.
Danang is one of the most dynamic cities of Vietnam. Thanks for proper socio-economic development policies, political determination of the leaders and the consensus and support of citizens, Danang has achieved miracle breakthroughs. Infrastructure especially traffic infrastructure has been invested for improvement, urban areas have been renovated and extended, environment for investment and business is enabled. Those partly promote the development of agriculture, fisheries and industry as well as commerce and services.
Although Danang has received outstanding achievements, Danang is still having many difficulties in building up a sustainable development strategy. At the opening ceremony of the course, Mr. Phung Tan Viet, member of the Municipal Party Committee, Vice Chairman of Danang People's Committee, said: "This is a precious opportunity for the leaders, elected representatives and planning specialists of Danang to learn and share experience, enhance their leadership capacity in order to address the challenges of sustainable development, increase the accountability and transparency, enhance the capacity to direct and develop policies, integrate emerging cross-cutting issues into long-term development strategy. I believe that with the consultation and training of lecturers who are international and local experts, the course will help the attendants to find dynamic ways of thinking and build up a new vision to change their old attitudes and thinking in leadership."
Dr. Nguyen Quang, Habitat Programme Manager of UN-HABITAT stated that " United Nations Human Settlements Programme is always ready to assist Danang City in developing Socio-Economic Development Strategy with focus on mainstreaming green growth, climate change response and sustainable urban governance and in acting as a bridge to promote policy dialogue between city leaders and stakeholders. Danang is a dynamic city which is recognized as development model of Vietnam. If Danang achieves the sustainable socio-economic development, it will provide valuable experience for other localities across the country".
The course on “Leadership training for Sustainable City Development Strategy of Danang” is one of critical activities of the 5-year project carried out by UN-HABITAT and Danang City on "Strengthening Multi-Sectoral Planning Strategies and Institutional Arrangement for Balanced Human, Economic and Sustainable Development".
- Urban Leadership and Innovation Mini-Ba
- Viet Nam plans launch of City Prosperity Index
- Regional Planning and Linkages for Southern Key Economic Zone Workshop in Ho Chi Minh City
- Policy Dialogue on Right to Adequate Housing: Roles of Urban Communities in the Housing Process
- Training on Developing result based Monitoring and Evaluation System in Urban Sector
- Urban Planning for City Leaders
- Initiatives to Promote Local Economic Development
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 2
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 1
- Leadership Training for Sustainable City Development Strategy of Danang
- New collaboration signed aims to support the Government of Viet Nam in the implementation of the Viet Nam Statistical Development Strategy 2011-2020
- United Nations Resident Coordinator leading UN-Habitat delegation to have courtesy visits to Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Public Administration and Minister of Construction
- Workshop "Capacity Builging to Develop Climate Change Response towards Green-Growth"
- Quang Nam Green Growth Investment Forum (PDF 475KB)
- Training on Multi Sector Investment Planning
- ‘Local to Global’ Art-Craft Industry Dialogues
- Government of Viet Nam and the United Nations signed new One Plan for 2012-2016
- National Workshop on Project "Urban Observatory System in Vietnam"
- Training of Trainers Workshop on Housing Policy Development
- World Habitat Day in Vietnam
- UN-HABITAT, partners hold consultative leadership workshop for Vietnamese Province *Will open a separate file
- Consultative Leadership Workshop for Quang Nam PDS
- Kick-off workshop of 'Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment (VAA) of Hoi An' project as a initial step of integrated approaches to the development of Hoi An Eco-city
- Workshop on Consultation and Technical Assistance to National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030
- Vietnamese Study Tour in Korea on Low-Income Housing
- Workshop "Urban Indicators and Urban Management in Vietnam"
- International Conference on "Hanoi Millennium: City Past and Future"
- Joint Hoi An Eco-city Scoping Workshop
- A proactive member of UN family and a trusted partner working together with people for a better urban life - Viet Nam team’s motto to set forth the next HCPD