(Ho Chi Minh City) On 24 August 2012, Department of Natural Resources and Environment, Office of the Steering Committee for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation of HCMC and United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-Habitat) in collaboration with Korean Environment Institute (KEI) and Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) organized the workshop "Capacity Building to Develop Climate Change Response towards Green Growth". Distinguished guests attending the workshop are officials of related departments, boards and branches, representatives of districts and Korean experts on climate change response and green growth.
Vietnam is now one of the most vulnerable countries affected by climate change. According to the latest climate change scenario, it is estimated that by 2100 the average temperature in Vietnam will increase by 2-3 °C, and sea level will rise another 57 to 73 cm on average. Because of sea level rise, people living within 100 km from a coast will be influenced heavily by climate change.
While green growth is a development model to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, to adapt to and mitigate climate change impacts, to improve the quality of growth and change the structure of production and consumption towards sustainability. This is the model which has been applied and pursued by many developed countries in the world.
Dr. Nguyen Quang, Habitat Programme Manager of UN-Habitat stated that "Ho Chi Minh City and Danang are the two centrally-controlled municipalities having high urbanization rate and facing challenges of urbanization. Meanwhile, climate change is likely to exacerbate these challenges. Moreover, Danang and Ho Chi Minh City are dynamic and active in responding to climate change. Therefore, we organize a pre-two-day training course and this workshop for related officials to build capacity on climate change and green growth, as well as providing practical and useful tools because these key officials work directly in urban development, environmental protection and climate change adaptation. Danang and Ho Chi Minh City are the flagship cities, so the experience gained from them will be shared with other cities across the country".
South Korea is one of the leading countries in green-growth and low-carbon socio-economic development. Innovating and sound ideas of economic development were applied, which led the country to become a developed one in the last few decades.
Dr. Shim Changsub from Korean Environment Institute said, "We want to share with you the experience of success in national planning for climate change adaptation as well as the concerns we encountered in the implementation process of the plan. Through this workshop, I hope to learn from Vietnam's experiences in general Ho Chi Minh City's in particular in terms of climate change response which can be applied in my country. I also hope that we will have other chances to discuss and learn from each other."
The training course and workshop are first critical steps of the 5-year project that UN-Habitat is carrying out with Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang on "Strengthening Multi-Sectoral Planning Strategies and Institutional Arrangement for Balanced Human, Economic and Sustainable Development"./.
- Urban Leadership and Innovation Mini-Ba
- Viet Nam plans launch of City Prosperity Index
- Regional Planning and Linkages for Southern Key Economic Zone Workshop in Ho Chi Minh City
- Policy Dialogue on Right to Adequate Housing: Roles of Urban Communities in the Housing Process
- Training on Developing result based Monitoring and Evaluation System in Urban Sector
- Urban Planning for City Leaders
- Initiatives to Promote Local Economic Development
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 2
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 1
- Leadership Training for Sustainable City Development Strategy of Danang
- New collaboration signed aims to support the Government of Viet Nam in the implementation of the Viet Nam Statistical Development Strategy 2011-2020
- United Nations Resident Coordinator leading UN-Habitat delegation to have courtesy visits to Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Public Administration and Minister of Construction
- Workshop "Capacity Builging to Develop Climate Change Response towards Green-Growth"
- Quang Nam Green Growth Investment Forum (PDF 475KB)
- Training on Multi Sector Investment Planning
- ‘Local to Global’ Art-Craft Industry Dialogues
- Government of Viet Nam and the United Nations signed new One Plan for 2012-2016
- National Workshop on Project "Urban Observatory System in Vietnam"
- Training of Trainers Workshop on Housing Policy Development
- World Habitat Day in Vietnam
- UN-HABITAT, partners hold consultative leadership workshop for Vietnamese Province *Will open a separate file
- Consultative Leadership Workshop for Quang Nam PDS
- Kick-off workshop of 'Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment (VAA) of Hoi An' project as a initial step of integrated approaches to the development of Hoi An Eco-city
- Workshop on Consultation and Technical Assistance to National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030
- Vietnamese Study Tour in Korea on Low-Income Housing
- Workshop "Urban Indicators and Urban Management in Vietnam"
- International Conference on "Hanoi Millennium: City Past and Future"
- Joint Hoi An Eco-city Scoping Workshop
- A proactive member of UN family and a trusted partner working together with people for a better urban life - Viet Nam team’s motto to set forth the next HCPD