3 October 2011
In Vietnam, the message contained in World Habitat Day in relation to the country’s specific context was distributed to the mass media such as newspaper, magazine and interview in television to raise the public awareness of 2011 theme of Cities and Climate Change on October 3, 2011.
In addition, UN-HABITAT Vietnam in co-ordination with the Viet Nam Federation of Civil Engineering Associations organised a workshop on “Support in the formulation of policies for the renewal of old urban areas” on October 14-15 in Vinh Phuc province, Vietnam as a local contribution to World Habitat Day. In the opening session of the workshop, Dr Nguyen Quang, UN-HABITAT Programme Manager, shared the statement by Dr. Joan Clos, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations Executive Director of UN-HABITAT on the occasion of World Habitat Day with video illustration.
Renewal of old urban quarters increasingly becomes a pressing issue as almost all old buildings in urban areas throughout the country were mainly constructed in the decade between 1970-80 and now are in poor condition. In order to adapt to climate change and ensure the safety of residents still living in these buildings, it is critical to have suitable policies and proactive participation of different stakeholders in the process of old building renewal. There have been 250 participants including urban planning professionals, experts, architectures, , governors, urban authorities, representatives of associations, national and international organisations to review status of old buildings, share experience and recommend solutions to this issue. UN-HABITAT contributed to the workshop with Dr Quang’s special speech to highlight the importance of climate change adaptation as an integral part of old buildings renewal strategies, Mrs. Hoa My (a partner of UN-Habitat Vietnam)’s presentation on “Experiences of Israel in upgrading old buildings”, and dissemination 250 CDs of ‘Quick Housing Policy Guides’ Series which were translated to Vietnamese , including 2 recent volumes: “A Policy Guide to Rental Housing in Developing Countries” and “Enabling Shelter Strategies: Design and Implementation Guide for Policymakers”
In conclusion, all key messages have been successfully highlighted on the World Habitat Day in Vietnam. This would significantly raise awareness of people and their responsibility for better cities for the future.
- Urban Leadership and Innovation Mini-Ba
- Viet Nam plans launch of City Prosperity Index
- Regional Planning and Linkages for Southern Key Economic Zone Workshop in Ho Chi Minh City
- Policy Dialogue on Right to Adequate Housing: Roles of Urban Communities in the Housing Process
- Training on Developing result based Monitoring and Evaluation System in Urban Sector
- Urban Planning for City Leaders
- Initiatives to Promote Local Economic Development
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 2
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 1
- Leadership Training for Sustainable City Development Strategy of Danang
- New collaboration signed aims to support the Government of Viet Nam in the implementation of the Viet Nam Statistical Development Strategy 2011-2020
- United Nations Resident Coordinator leading UN-Habitat delegation to have courtesy visits to Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Public Administration and Minister of Construction
- Workshop "Capacity Builging to Develop Climate Change Response towards Green-Growth"
- Quang Nam Green Growth Investment Forum (PDF 475KB)
- Training on Multi Sector Investment Planning
- ‘Local to Global’ Art-Craft Industry Dialogues
- Government of Viet Nam and the United Nations signed new One Plan for 2012-2016
- National Workshop on Project "Urban Observatory System in Vietnam"
- Training of Trainers Workshop on Housing Policy Development
- World Habitat Day in Vietnam
- UN-HABITAT, partners hold consultative leadership workshop for Vietnamese Province *Will open a separate file
- Consultative Leadership Workshop for Quang Nam PDS
- Kick-off workshop of 'Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment (VAA) of Hoi An' project as a initial step of integrated approaches to the development of Hoi An Eco-city
- Workshop on Consultation and Technical Assistance to National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030
- Vietnamese Study Tour in Korea on Low-Income Housing
- Workshop "Urban Indicators and Urban Management in Vietnam"
- International Conference on "Hanoi Millennium: City Past and Future"
- Joint Hoi An Eco-city Scoping Workshop
- A proactive member of UN family and a trusted partner working together with people for a better urban life - Viet Nam team’s motto to set forth the next HCPD