6 September 2011
On 6 September 2011, the Consultative Leadership Workshop for the Quang Nam Provincial Development Strategy was held in Tam Ky City, Quang Nam province by the Provincial Propaganda Department, Planning & Investment Department of Quang Nam Province, UN-HABITAT, Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Public Administration (HCMA) along with Portland State University from America. The workshop lasted for 3 days with participation of representatives from provincial department, committee, districts and provincial cities.
"Main purposes of the workshop are to facilitate a strategy dialogue between Quang Nam leading officials and key stakeholders on the main elements of the PDS, to learn how to apply several practical leadership tools from the new EMERGE framework for accelerating the successful realization of the Quang Nam PDS and to improve provincial and local ownership in the formulation and implementation of the Quang Nam PDS ", said Nguyen Quang, Habitat Pregramme Manager.
This workshop is in the Project of Quang Nam Development Strategy Establishment implemented by UN-HABITAT Vietnam, in which giving out a clear development strategy for local authorities and people, in order to balance development targets and sustainability.
Ngo Huy Duc, Director institute of political science, HCMA said: Globalization brings in policy and political challenges which are more and more complex and unusual. Political system's reply needs to be based on its cultural, historical and institutional characteristics. A leadership framework is required to deal with these difficulties. Theoretical framework reflects the complexity and fluctuation of new difficulties, thus, an active system approach to leadership is needed. It is established on the basis that accounts characteristics of Vietnam political system, in which emphasizes on "theory attached with practice". "Leadership is a value-centered and shared process that engages leaders in relationship with followers in the purposeful advancement of the human and ecological condition, i.e., the common good."
By various propaganda forms such as video clip, direct discussions, presentation, the workshop provides 6 useful tools to deal with difficulties. They are leadership opportunity seeking tool, the leadership role profile Tool, standardization tool, strategic steering tool, inspiration tool and coalition tool.
Mr. Tran Kim Hung, Standing officer of Quang Nam's People Committee said: "In my point of view, the main challenge of Quang Nam province lies in disqualified planning quality. We need to convert these challenges to opportunities, meaning that how to obtain qualified planning along with provincial long-term development, including vision of industry development and restructure, ideas and targets for modern industrial development of Quang Nam by 2020. This course provides us knowledge concerning leadership skills preparation and their application in locality. From that, hopefully, Quang Nam province will have a qualified socio-eco development plan; we may employ experts to change the planning procedure. Actually, this course helps me to realize those".
"The workshop is useful for provincial leading officials in approaching and applying new leadership and strategic management tools. It is a chance to meet, discuss and learn from each other among scientists, officers, leaders, between science and practice in order to make theoretical supplementation and promote provincial development" – Mr. Ngo Van Hung, Section Head of Quang Nam Propaganda Department concluded.
- Urban Leadership and Innovation Mini-Ba
- Viet Nam plans launch of City Prosperity Index
- Regional Planning and Linkages for Southern Key Economic Zone Workshop in Ho Chi Minh City
- Policy Dialogue on Right to Adequate Housing: Roles of Urban Communities in the Housing Process
- Training on Developing result based Monitoring and Evaluation System in Urban Sector
- Urban Planning for City Leaders
- Initiatives to Promote Local Economic Development
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 2
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 1
- Leadership Training for Sustainable City Development Strategy of Danang
- New collaboration signed aims to support the Government of Viet Nam in the implementation of the Viet Nam Statistical Development Strategy 2011-2020
- United Nations Resident Coordinator leading UN-Habitat delegation to have courtesy visits to Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Public Administration and Minister of Construction
- Workshop "Capacity Builging to Develop Climate Change Response towards Green-Growth"
- Quang Nam Green Growth Investment Forum (PDF 475KB)
- Training on Multi Sector Investment Planning
- ‘Local to Global’ Art-Craft Industry Dialogues
- Government of Viet Nam and the United Nations signed new One Plan for 2012-2016
- National Workshop on Project "Urban Observatory System in Vietnam"
- Training of Trainers Workshop on Housing Policy Development
- World Habitat Day in Vietnam
- UN-HABITAT, partners hold consultative leadership workshop for Vietnamese Province *Will open a separate file
- Consultative Leadership Workshop for Quang Nam PDS
- Kick-off workshop of 'Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment (VAA) of Hoi An' project as a initial step of integrated approaches to the development of Hoi An Eco-city
- Workshop on Consultation and Technical Assistance to National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030
- Vietnamese Study Tour in Korea on Low-Income Housing
- Workshop "Urban Indicators and Urban Management in Vietnam"
- International Conference on "Hanoi Millennium: City Past and Future"
- Joint Hoi An Eco-city Scoping Workshop
- A proactive member of UN family and a trusted partner working together with people for a better urban life - Viet Nam team’s motto to set forth the next HCPD