27-29 August 2011
On 27-29 August, UN-HABITAT together with People Committee of Hoi An opened the kick-off workshop in Hoi An for the project of Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment (VAA) for development of Hoi An Eco-city. The goals of the project are assessing vulnerability and adaptation capacity to climate change (VAA) of the city of Hoi An to make it basis for strategic planning process with concrete action plan to respond to climate change and sustainability challenges of the city; capacity building for local officials and stakeholders to develop strategies to develop eco-city of Hoi An; and developing a strategic direction for developing eco-city of Hoi An through policy dialogue on "the core values of the eco-city development".
During the workshop, UN-HABITAT presented VAA framework and its application for Hoi An eco-city development. This framework will provide policy makers and communities related information to make priorities and plans to adapt to climate change, identify the necessary actions to effectively manage the impact on society and economy of climate change, and determine adaptive capacity based on analysis of local solutions, including the resources of the community. The framework is expected to play a key role as a determining factor for the development of successful eco-city to Hoi An in 2030.
In addition, consultants also introduced to local government the toolkit based on the experience of the Sorsogon city, Philippine about "Participatory vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment" and the material "Planning for Climate Change" to integrate participatory approach based on the value for strategic planning, and to help to ensure community capacity, local knowledge and community values to be considered when determining priorities and actions about climate and integrate them into each sector planning activities.
Lastly, a proposed eco city framework for long term development of Hoi An was presented which shows a linkage between V&AA and a macro level of eco city development strategic planning process that UN-HABITAT is committed to working on with Hoi An.
The workshop successfully introduced objectives, approaches and activities of the project; increased capacity of local official and stakeholders on assessing vulnerability and adaptation capacity to climate change (VAA) of the city of Hoi An; and defined the scope of evaluation and coordination plans to evaluate until end of 2011.
- Urban Leadership and Innovation Mini-Ba
- Viet Nam plans launch of City Prosperity Index
- Regional Planning and Linkages for Southern Key Economic Zone Workshop in Ho Chi Minh City
- Policy Dialogue on Right to Adequate Housing: Roles of Urban Communities in the Housing Process
- Training on Developing result based Monitoring and Evaluation System in Urban Sector
- Urban Planning for City Leaders
- Initiatives to Promote Local Economic Development
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 2
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 1
- Leadership Training for Sustainable City Development Strategy of Danang
- New collaboration signed aims to support the Government of Viet Nam in the implementation of the Viet Nam Statistical Development Strategy 2011-2020
- United Nations Resident Coordinator leading UN-Habitat delegation to have courtesy visits to Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Public Administration and Minister of Construction
- Workshop "Capacity Builging to Develop Climate Change Response towards Green-Growth"
- Quang Nam Green Growth Investment Forum (PDF 475KB)
- Training on Multi Sector Investment Planning
- ‘Local to Global’ Art-Craft Industry Dialogues
- Government of Viet Nam and the United Nations signed new One Plan for 2012-2016
- National Workshop on Project "Urban Observatory System in Vietnam"
- Training of Trainers Workshop on Housing Policy Development
- World Habitat Day in Vietnam
- UN-HABITAT, partners hold consultative leadership workshop for Vietnamese Province *Will open a separate file
- Consultative Leadership Workshop for Quang Nam PDS
- Kick-off workshop of 'Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment (VAA) of Hoi An' project as a initial step of integrated approaches to the development of Hoi An Eco-city
- Workshop on Consultation and Technical Assistance to National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030
- Vietnamese Study Tour in Korea on Low-Income Housing
- Workshop "Urban Indicators and Urban Management in Vietnam"
- International Conference on "Hanoi Millennium: City Past and Future"
- Joint Hoi An Eco-city Scoping Workshop
- A proactive member of UN family and a trusted partner working together with people for a better urban life - Viet Nam team’s motto to set forth the next HCPD