Housing is not only a valuable asset for each family or an individual but also an indicator for the development of a nation’s socio-economy and an expression of culture, customs and tradition of each ethnic group in different areas. In a society, improving housing is an urgent task in order to raise the people’s living standards. It is a fundamental right for a person to have a safe and adequate accommodation. It is also a legitimate need for a household and a necessary condition for developing human resources as needed by the industrialization and modernization process in Vietnam.
The policies in housing area issued by the State in recent years have produced positive results. The assessment can be looked at the aspects such as: Increase in number of houses and urban areas, Increase in housing area, Growth in housing quality and size.
Besides several achievements as mentioned above, the implementation of housing development policy is riddled with problems and inadequacies that need to be resolved in order to accelerate housing development, improve house supply and assist those people in difficulties to improve their living conditions. Such problems and inadequacies are housing development policy and mechanism, Lack of synchronization between housing policies and land, investment, planning and financial policies, Houses price increase makes a negative impact on people’s accomodation affordability, Ever-increase in imbalances in the ratio of different house types and gaps in living conditions, Lack of synchronization in housing investment policies in rural areas, The model of organising and developing houses fails the requirement of the process of national industrialisation and modernisation, Housing finance system lack synchronisation, Cumbersome and complicated administrative procedures in the housing fields, Problems on direction in the implementation of certain housing programs and policies, The inadequacies in structure of the state management mechanism on housing, The investigation, inspection and treatment to the violations of the housing laws have not been conducted regularly and thoroughly.
Aware of challenges and opportunities in developing housing, Ministry of Construction has co-operated with related departments to develop “National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030”, to summit the Prime Minister. The Ministry of Construction has requested UN-HABITAT’s technical support in the improvement of the national housing policy and the development of a strategy for low income housing. It is also recognized that a study to gain deep understanding of the housing sector would be necessary to identify areas that have been overlooked or insufficiently addressed in current housing policy of Vietnam. In addition, capacity building for policy makers at both central and local level is essential for improvement in the housing sector.
In the workshop on “National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030” organized on 8 March 2011 in Hanoi, housing experts from UN-HABITAT presented experiences of developing national housing policy, especially in Asian Pacific, provided “Quick Guide for policy makers on Housing the poor in Asian cities” to the Ministry of Construction and Central Steering Committee for Housing and Real Estate Market Policy to share international experiences on developing and implementing low income housing policy with participation of related partners. In addition, UN-HABITAT’s consulting group also presented introduction of Vietnam Housing Profile with five topic such as: (1) Policy and institutional frameworks, (2) Housing finance and markets, (3) Infrastructure/basic urban services, (4) Land supply systems, and (5) Construction industry and building materials. Participants also discussed and commented on the draft of National Housing Development Strategy. Hopefully after this workshop, “National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030” will be more complete, to make it become legal basis for the State to issue suitable guidelines and policies to promote housing development, create conditions for all citizens, especially the poor, low-income earner to set up consistent and stable shelter.
- Urban Leadership and Innovation Mini-Ba
- Viet Nam plans launch of City Prosperity Index
- Regional Planning and Linkages for Southern Key Economic Zone Workshop in Ho Chi Minh City
- Policy Dialogue on Right to Adequate Housing: Roles of Urban Communities in the Housing Process
- Training on Developing result based Monitoring and Evaluation System in Urban Sector
- Urban Planning for City Leaders
- Initiatives to Promote Local Economic Development
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 2
- The World We Want: Listening to the views of poor and marginalized people 1
- Leadership Training for Sustainable City Development Strategy of Danang
- New collaboration signed aims to support the Government of Viet Nam in the implementation of the Viet Nam Statistical Development Strategy 2011-2020
- United Nations Resident Coordinator leading UN-Habitat delegation to have courtesy visits to Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and Public Administration and Minister of Construction
- Workshop "Capacity Builging to Develop Climate Change Response towards Green-Growth"
- Quang Nam Green Growth Investment Forum (PDF 475KB)
- Training on Multi Sector Investment Planning
- ‘Local to Global’ Art-Craft Industry Dialogues
- Government of Viet Nam and the United Nations signed new One Plan for 2012-2016
- National Workshop on Project "Urban Observatory System in Vietnam"
- Training of Trainers Workshop on Housing Policy Development
- World Habitat Day in Vietnam
- UN-HABITAT, partners hold consultative leadership workshop for Vietnamese Province *Will open a separate file
- Consultative Leadership Workshop for Quang Nam PDS
- Kick-off workshop of 'Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment (VAA) of Hoi An' project as a initial step of integrated approaches to the development of Hoi An Eco-city
- Workshop on Consultation and Technical Assistance to National Housing Development Strategy toward 2020, vision of 2030
- Vietnamese Study Tour in Korea on Low-Income Housing
- Workshop "Urban Indicators and Urban Management in Vietnam"
- International Conference on "Hanoi Millennium: City Past and Future"
- Joint Hoi An Eco-city Scoping Workshop
- A proactive member of UN family and a trusted partner working together with people for a better urban life - Viet Nam team’s motto to set forth the next HCPD