The Commonwealth Local Government Forum in the Pacific hosted its 2010 Pacific Local Government Symposium: Building local government alliances: for vibrant and resilient local economies and communities in the Pacific in Port Vila, Vanuatu from 11-15 October. The event considered CLGF's past work in the region and confirmed a new focus of activity in promoting local economic development with the inclusion of urban management as a key focus area.
UN-HABITAT collaborated with UNISDR and UNESCAP at two technical working group sessions at the symposium and attended the Pacific Capital Cities Forum 2010 AGM as well as the development partners roundtable meeting.
In partnership with UNISDR - Building urban resilience to disasters and climate change: and the Pacific Launch of the 2010-2011 World Disaster Reduction Campaign. Presentations on the Pacific Cities and Climate Change Initiative were given to highlight some practical steps cities are taken to adapt to climate change. The event was also used to commemorate World Habitat Day.
In partnership with UNESCAP – Managing urbanisation in the Pacific which provided an overview of recent efforts in the region to tackle rapid urban growth, inform of renewed commitments to the Pacific Urban Agenda (PUA), highlight the value of regional cooperation and advise of the planned third PUA workshop to be held in 2011.
The Port Vila Declaration, adopted at the conclusion of the Symposium defines the direction to be taken by local government partners in the Pacific to continue to build more vibrant and resilient local economies and communities.
- Urban Profiles: Assessing the urban conditions of cities in Solomon Islands
- Urban Profiles: Assessing the urban conditions of cities in Papua New Guinea
- Urban Profiles: Assessing the urban conditions of cities in Fiji
- Fiji Desktop Calendar
- UN-Habitat's Cities and Climate Change Initiative concluded a Pacific Partners Workshop in Suva, Fiji from 21-23 November.
- Pacific Urban Forum
- Fiji : From the activities of the Cities and Climate Change Initiative in Fiji
- 2010 Pacific Local Government Symposium: Building local government alliances: for vibrant and resilient local economies and communities in the Pacific
- Tuvalu : Funafuti Urban Dialogue, Tuvalu, 2 and 5 July 2010
- Fiji : Launching of Fiji's Rapid Urban Sector Profiling, June 2010
- Vanuatu : National Urban Dialogue 6-8 October 2009