The Honourable Edward Nipake Natapei, Prime Minister of Vanuatu opened the National Urban Policy Dialogue today, 6 October 2009. He commented on Vanuatu’s pressing need to address urban development challenges and reiterated the importance that all stakeholders perspectives should be equally heard to provide for balanced policy formulation. He stated, “In Vanuatu the government has come to take the view that perhaps it would be more strategic to think in terms of better management of urban growth …. and the government would welcome any policy direction relating to better urban policy planning and management in Vanuatu."
The workshop is being attended by over 65 including heads of Ministries, Provincial Presidents, Secretary Generals, other senior government and municipal managers, chiefs, NGO representatives, development partners and other stakeholders.
The Commonwealth Local Government Forum Pacific Project is sponsoring the Dialogue with technical support from UNESCAP and UN-HABITAT.
- Urban Profiles: Assessing the urban conditions of cities in Solomon Islands
- Urban Profiles: Assessing the urban conditions of cities in Papua New Guinea
- Urban Profiles: Assessing the urban conditions of cities in Fiji
- Fiji Desktop Calendar
- UN-Habitat's Cities and Climate Change Initiative concluded a Pacific Partners Workshop in Suva, Fiji from 21-23 November.
- Pacific Urban Forum
- Fiji : From the activities of the Cities and Climate Change Initiative in Fiji
- 2010 Pacific Local Government Symposium: Building local government alliances: for vibrant and resilient local economies and communities in the Pacific
- Tuvalu : Funafuti Urban Dialogue, Tuvalu, 2 and 5 July 2010
- Fiji : Launching of Fiji's Rapid Urban Sector Profiling, June 2010
- Vanuatu : National Urban Dialogue 6-8 October 2009