Background & Objectives
This Joint Country Programme on Water and Sanitation in the Philippines supports the 4 Years - Multi-Annual Agreement between the Spanish International Cooperation for Development Agency (AECID) and Instituto de Promoción y Apoyo al Desarrollo (IPADE) entitled "Biodiversity Conservation and Promotion of Sustainable Economic Activities in Vulnerable Rural Communities that are Dependent on Natural Resources and are Located in Ecological Hazardous Areas in Vietnam, Filipinas, Cambodia." Together with NGOs, community-based projects on improving access to safe drinking water, basic sanitation and solid waste management, shall be implemented in selected Barangays, in partnership and close coordination with the concerned local government units.
UN-HABITAT and IPADE Joint Country Programme on Water and Sanitation in the Philippines aims to substantially contribute to increased access by the vulnerable population to improved solid waste management; and increase the proportion of people with sustainable access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation.
The main activities include:
- Conduct of technical assessment and monitoring visit;
- Conduct of KM and communication plan with the NGOs and community;
- Facilitation of learning visits and learning events including consultation on review of Program of Work developed by NGOs;
- Conduct of orientation on Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and Community-based Monitoring System (CBMS);
- Monitoring of construction of water system.
On its 12-months of operation, UN-HABITAT has achieved the following:
- Construction of improved water facilities that will provide potable water to approximately 668 HH in Caraga Region and 133 HH in Sorsogon City;
- Provision of capacity building to partner NGOs and local leaders in ensuring effective and efficient implementation and management of water and sanitation projects;
- Conducted rapid water and sanitation assessments in Siruma and Cabusao Municipalities in Camarines Sur Province; and
- Developed knowledge management framework and system for all NGOs in the aspects of knowledge and process documentation, web development and management, monitoring and evaluation system, designing learning events, knowledge dissemination system and IEC system, and technology kits on water users guide, watsan policies and international standards, and guide for water management committees.
Development Partners / Partners
Development Partners: Instituto de Promoción y Apoyo al Desarrollo (IPADE), Spanish International Cooperation for Development Agency (AECID)
Partners: ALTERDEV Services Foundation, Inc., Center for Empowerment and Resource Development, Inc., Coastal CORE, Institute of Social Order, Artists Quarters Educational Movement, Inc., Local Government Units of Hinatuan and Jabonga in the Caraga Region and Cabusao Municipality and Siruma Municipality in the Bicol Region, as well as Sorsogon Province and Sorsogon City
- UN-HABITAT and IPADE Joint Country Programme on Water and Sanitation
- Strengthening Philippine City Capacities to Address Climate Change Impacts
- Citizens Action for Local Leadership to Achieve MDGs
- Family-Based Actions for Children and Their Environments in the Slums
- Integrated Shelter Recovery Project in Albay
- Integrated Approaches to Poverty Reduction at Neighbourhood Level
- National Facility for Adaptation and Replication - Local Environmental Planning and Management
- OPERATIONALISING THE NATIONAL URBAN DEVELOPMENT AND HOUSING FRAMEWORK - THE PHILIPPINE URBAN FORUM (Completed)
- UPSCALING POVERTY-FOCUSED CITY DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIES IN THE PHILIPPINES (Completed)