Background and Objectives
The project provides direct support to assist the Office of Urbanisation develop and implement the Government's emerging National Urbanisation Policy to better respond to the pressing needs of cities and towns by assisting Port Moresby, Goroka and Kokopo local governments in the day-to-day business of governing and managing urban development, and strengthening their capacity to work with, and support, the urban poor through the provision of basic urban services and sustainable shelter upgrading. UN-HABITAT is providing technical advice and sharing Africa/Asia city experiences in preparing Rapid Urban Sector Profiles and the UN-HABITAT City Consultation approach to introduce innovative participatory urban management approaches to the three cities.
The main activities include:
* Established a Project Implementation Unit, and adapt the RUSP approach to Profile the Governments urbanisation Policy and supporting "Urban Charter's" 7 thematic areas;
* Introduce and undertake the Urban Profiling approach through key national and city stakeholders;
* Validate and disseminate the findings through City and National Consultations;
* Conduct governance and management informal settlement upgrading capacity development workshops with selected national support institutions in order to build national up-scaling and replication mechanisms;
* Undertake an institutional assessment and strategy of how training materials can be mainstreamed in existing curricular and institutional activities, including the preparation of a framework for adapted training materials to the PNG context (for development and implementation in subsequent programme phases).
* Urban profiling methodology introduced to and adapted by national and city stakeholders;
* City Assessment and Profiling completed in three pilot cities;
* City consultation and validation of findings disseminated in the three cities, including assessment of follow-up implementation Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats analysis of partners. City Consultation proceedings reported and disseminated;
* Priority issues translated into project concepts;
* City profiles synthesised into a National Urban Sector Profile and disseminated through a national consultation;
* Results integrated into the National Urbanisation Policy;
* Project proposals to support implementation of the National Urbanisation Policy through a National Humans Settlements Development Programmes prepared for follow-up funding support.
Development Partners / Partners
Development Partners: UNDP, Commonwealth Local Government Forum
Partners: Office of Urbanization (representing the Government of PNG), National Capital District of Port Moresby City, Goroka City and Kokopo City