Background and Objectives
In Nepal, immediate provision of shelter and basic non-food items to IDPS and returnees affected by conflict is acknowledged as the most critical step for families to settle in the community in a conducive environment. Based on field assessments done end of 2007 in their working locations, the need to assist IDPs and returnees for enhancing their accommodation conditions to make their place of living more healthy and secure either in their place of displacement or origin is felt extremely essential and urgent.
Therefore, 605 vulnerable families have been identified who desperately require emergency support of shelter materials, shelter repair and non-food items. The targeted families are located in Kathmandu, Surkhet, Rukum, Nepalgunj, Biratnagar and Lahan. A bare minimum package has been worked out for the provision of Non-Food items (including specific needs of women) and emergency shelter repair and cost worked out accordingly.
The objectives of this emergency project are to:
* Provide basic essentials non-food items and emergency shelter materials for 605 vulnerable families (3,000 beneficiaries) of IDPs or returnees with priority on women headed-households, elderly women and widows who are in desperate need of assistance;
* Optimize resource allocation through accurate target group identification;
* Combine NRC counselling and legal assistance activities with shelter project.
The main activities include:
* Procurement of materials for shelter repairs and non-food Items;
* Verification of beneficiaries to reassess and reconfirm their crucial shelter and non-food Item needs;
* Distribution of materials to families identified and verified.
* 3,000 affected beneficiaries (605 families) will receive emergency packages of non-food Items;
* Beneficiaries will be able to withstand various weather conditions (monsoon etc.) and start normal life.
Development Partners / Partners
Development Partners: Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF)
Partners: Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
- Shelter Provision for the Most Vulnerable before & during the Monsoon
- Integrated Shelter Assistance for 225 Landless Households Affected by Koshi Flood
- The Provision of Vocational Training for Returning IDPs Affected by Koshi Floods (Completed)
- Assistance to IDPs and Returnees
- Preparation of a Proposal for Slum Upgrading Strategies and Investment Program
- ASSESSING THE FEASIBILITY OF ICT AS A DEVELOPMENT INSTRUMENT FOR RURAL-URBAN LINKAGES IN NEPAL (Completed)