Background and Objectives
This project supports a key thrust of UNDP-ROK Country Programme Document 2005-2008 to facilitate the achievement of MDG Goal 7 - Ensuring Environmental Sustainability by: 1) strengthening environmental planning and management at the City-level by introducing and applying the SCP-EPM process in two Gangwon Cities; 2) providing Provincial-level support to the SCP-EPM city activities to strengthen the Provincial Comprehensive Environment Plan preparation, implementation by integrating Biodiversity principles and good practices; 3) strengthening the development of policies and supporting instruments at the National-level, especially to develop an integrated Korean-style SCP-EPM model and guidelines based on lessons learned at the City (including Hanam and Seogwipo) and Provincial-levels; and 4) strengthening Korea-Asia Regional and Global-level linkages.
The main activities include:
* Technical advice to adapt the lessons learned from earlier Hanam and Seogwipo SCP-EPM experiences to Gangwon's socio-economic and cultural circumstances;
* Provide EMIS technical support
* Advice in formulating and strengthening a Sustainable City Network in Korea by sharing experiences from other countries;
* Facilitate Gangwon partner networking with other SCP partner cities, including outgoing/In-coming study tour programmes;
* Identify additional technical expertise and partnerships relevant to the Project including linkages to other UN-HABITAT and UNEP Programmes, especially helping to link Gangwon Province and its partners to UNEP's Geo-City network and technical support systems;
* Support the Gangwon partners to document their experiences for policy learning, national, Asia regional and global sharing.
* SCP-EPM process adapted to Korean and especially to Gangwon's socio-economic and cultural circumstances;
* GIS Unit strengthened with EMIS applications
* Gangwon experiences documented for policy learning at the city and national-levels, and shared in the Asia Region;
* Gangwon visibility raised in the Asia Region through networking with other SCP partner cities;
* Linked Gangwon Province and its partners to UNEP's Geo-City network and technical support systems;
* Strengthening the Sustainable City Network in Korea by sharing experiences from other countries.
Development Partners / Partners
Development Partners: UNDP
Partners: Gangwon Provincial Government, Pyongchang County, Gangnung City, Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Construction