Background and Objectives
The objectives of this program are:
* to facilitate the introduction and adoption by Seogwipo City on a pilot basis, of the UNHABITAT SCP approach for the development of eco-cities in an ESSD perspective at a local-government level and development of a sustainable strategy;
* to facilitate international exchanges and sharing regarding SCP/EPM approaches globally;
* to derive the lessons and blue print for possible replication initially in Korea; and
* to launch an Ecocity Network in Korea.
Ultimately, the project should contribute to enhancing the livelihoods of the local people.
It is also expected that the Seogwipo experience could be shared with cities in other countries and that Seogwipo and other Korean cities adopting the SCP approach will become part of the international SCP network.
The main activities include:
* Analysis and assessment of lessons learned in ROK for creating a sustainable city in Korea and development of a Korean-style SCP model;
* Building and operating the national Ecocity Network;
* Facilitate international exchanges and sharing regarding SCP/EPM approaches globally.
* Korean-style SCP model: Seogwipo pilot case developed;
* Translations of SCP snapshot and SCP/EPM briefings sheets completed;
* Two training workshops, first to experts and stakeholders introducing the SCP/EPM process, and the second to the Task Force team and City Consultation Committee on preparing the Environmental Profile conducted;
* Two environmental Management strategies developed on biodiversity and water friendly cities as annexes to the Environmental Profile submitted;
* Hanam evaluation report submitted;
* Active training and dissemination conducted by Eco-city network secretary (coordinator);
* National Ecocity Network in Korea been set up;
* International exposure and experience, sharing/gaining of EPM knowledge enhanced.
Development Partners / Partners
Development Partners: UNDP
Partners: Ministry of Science and Technology, Seogwipo City Council, Seoul National University SNU, Gangwon Province