Background and Objectives
The Nias and Simeulue Projects, as with all other projects implemented by UN-HABITAT Indonesia in response to earthquake and tsunami recovery effort, supports a community driven, integrated approach to reconstruction to ensure the sustainable reconstruction of settlements affected by the tsunami and the earthquake. The outcome is not limited to housing or infrastructure, but to rebuilding the lives of people and their communities; as support to rebuild their houses is recognised as an important element in restarting their lives.
The overall objectives are:
* To address the housing needs of tsunami and earthquake-affected communities and vulnerable families in four villages in Nias and five villages in Simeulue;
* To ensure security of tenure through the restoration of rights to occupy land and registration of title;
* To support the recovery process by providing inputs into the local economy through investments in housing, which supports the local economy through local building materials, the generation of employment, and provides a base for income-generating activities;
* To support communities and local government through joint planning and needs assessments.
The main activities included:
* Identification of settlements and site preparation;
* Community and spatial planning;
* Housing reconstruction support;
* Community infrastructure improvements.
* 486 houses and water/sanitation infrastructure reconstructed in the villages of Sawo, Hiliduruwa, Banuagea and Hillimbosi on Nias;
* The main output of the project in Simeulue is the construction of 459 houses and community infrastructure in the villages of Sua Sua, Batu Batu, Busung, Situbuk and Kahat;
* The community infrastructure component will provide assistance in reconstruction of some priority infrastructure such as roads, culverts, water supply etc.;
* Some infrastructure activities including primary and secondary water connections are being carried out by a German NGO (ThW) in close coordination with UN-HABITAT.
Development Partners / Partners
Development Partners: ADB
Partners: Aceh Nias Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Agency (BRR) and local communities
- Nias and Simeulue Settlements Support Programme
- Aceh Nias Settlements Support Programme (ANSSP)
- Slum Upgrading Facility in Indonesia (SUF) (Completed)
- Institutionalising Poverty-focused City Development Strategies (CDS) in Iindonesia (Completed)
- Community-based Initiatives for Housing and Local Development (COBILD) (Completed)
- Breakthrough Urban Initiatives for Local Development (BUILD) (Completed)
- Partnerships for Local Economic Development (PLED/KPEL) (Completed)