Background & Objectives
Faced with the impacts of industrialization and fast urbanization, Chinese cities are now working on cost-effective ways to protect the environment in a sustainable way. Jiangyin city of Jiangsu province, P.R. China, has established a "Non Development Zone" (NDZ). The NDZ covers about 200 square kms, with a core area of 40 square kms where development is prohibited. In order to strengthen the concept of Non-Development Zones and promote low carbon economy and sustainable urban development, as well as in order to strengthen the actions of CCCI, Jiangyin Municipal Government and UN-Habitat would like to cooperate by jointly conducting a pilot project.
The objective of the project is to address climate change at city level under the sustainable city development framework through energy conservation, farmland protection, water resources and natural ecological protection, environmental protection and energy conservation and utilization of new energy.
1) Dispersed settlement sewage treatment
2) Education and raising awareness of students and residents
3) Low-carbon communities
4) Development of relevant policies of NDZ
Development Partners / Partners
Development Partner: Jiangyin Construction Bureau
- Low Carbon Economy and Sustainable Urban Development Pilot Project – Jiangyin Non-Development Zone Practice
- Earthquake-resistant Reconstruction of Hongshe Primary School
- Getting Children Back to School (Completed)
- Promoting Sustainable Urbanisation
- Semi-Aerobic Landfill System (Completed)
- Urban Indicators Project (Completed)