By concentrating on the urban terrain of peacebuilding and state building, the programme will strengthen the delivery of services, especially related to security; improve local government responsiveness and accountability; and strengthen partnerships between government, communities, civil society, and security providers.
The programme will pay special attention to the rights and needs of women, youth, and marginalized groups such as, supporting the institutionalization of responsive and equitable service delivery in the eight target cities. The expected impact of the AUPP is: “Women and men, girls and boys, in cities have increased trust in the local government’s capacity to uphold rights, achieve safe, secure and inclusive cities, contributing to improved government legitimacy”.
- Outcome 1: Municipalities in collaboration with line departments better plan and implement demand-driven and inclusive services in the area of safety and security.
- Outcome 2: Communities particularly excluded and under-represented groups, increasingly and with a spirit of solidarity engage in civic affairs and municipal governance.
- Outcome 3: National government establishes framework for accountable, transparent and participatory municipal governance in particular in the area of safety and security.
The programme is implemented in Kabul, Jalalabad, Mazar, Kunduz, Herat, Farah, Bamyian and Nili Cities.
Independent Directorate of Local Governance/Deputy Ministry for Municipalities (IDLG/DMM); Ministry of Interior/ Police-e-Mardumi; Ministry of Urban Development and Housing (MUDH); Kabul, Jalalabad, Mazar, Kunduz, Herat, Farah, Bamyian and Nili Municipalities (including Municipal Advisory Boards), Provincial Authorities and line departments; Community Development Councils and Gozar Assemblies (CDCs and GAs); UN Agencies and other development partners.
* Safety in Afghan Cities
- Community Development Project: National Solidarity Programme (NSP)
- Afghanistan Urban Peacebuilding Programme (AUPP)
- Future of Afghan Cities Programme (FoAC)
- Kabul Solidarity Programme Phase 2
- Community-Based Municipal Support Programme
- Kabul Solidarity Programme
- Developing Irrigation Associations for On-Farm Water Management Project
- Behaviour Change Communication
- Assessment of Options for Community Benefit Sharing for CASA-1000
- Urban Solidarity Programme
- Reintegration of Returnees and IDPs through Policy, Planning and Targeted Assistance (EU8)
- Strengthening Municipal and Community Development in Lashkar Gah – Phase III
- Peace-Building in Afghanistan through Consolidation of Community Solidarity (PACCS)
- Reintegration of Returnees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) through Policy, Planning and Targeted Assistance (EC7)
- Strengthening Municipal and Community Governance in Lashkar Gah - Phase II
- Community Empowerment and Development for Peace Building
- Learning for Community Empowerment Programme (LCEP Phase 2)
- Reintegration of Returnees and IDPs through Policy, Planning and Targeted Assistance (EC6)
- Behaviour Change and Communication
- Governance and Development Support Programme in Kandahar (GDSP)
- NSP - Spinboldak and Khakrez in District of Kandahar
- Upgrading Informal Settlements in Kandahar City
- Youth Empowerment Project (YEP)
- Inter-Communal Rural Development Project (IRDP)