Background and Objectives
This Government of Japan funded project is implemented through National Solidarity Programme CDCs and focuses on the particular needs of assisting demobilized fighters, Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and returnees. It strengthens community solidarity and the capacity of local government and supports livelihoods of rural communities through community banking. It has of three components.
Component 1: It focuses on reintegration of demobilized fighters, Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and returnees through recognition of their rights and provision of basic community infrastructure and services in urban areas. 73,500 demobilized fighters, IDPs and returnees in 42 communities will be provided with basic community infrastructure and services through support to their Community Development Councils (CDCs). Capacity of local government will be strengthened to perform its essential functions.
Component 2: It strengthens community solidarity through implementation of cluster CDC infrastructure projects in rural areas. 45,000 families living in 180 communities will benefit from their empowerment through participating in Community Development Councils and improved infrastructure, public buildings, improved roads and improved health and educational facilities.
Component 3: It supports CDCs established by NSP through provision of sustainable livelihoods opportunities and establishment of community banks in rural areas. 350,000 families in 1,400 communities receive vocational training and support for the establishment of enterprises. 21,000 people receive loans for livelihoods enhancement through community banks. 1,400 CDCs will have strengthened empowerment through participating in community savings and loan programmes.
Development Partners / Partners
Development Partners: Government of Japan
Partners: Ministry of Urban Development, Respective Provincial Governments and Municipalities
- Community Development Project: National Solidarity Programme (NSP)
- Future of Afghan Cities Programme (FoAC)
- Kabul Solidarity Programme Phase 2
- Community-Based Municipal Support Programme
- Kabul Solidarity Programme
- Developing Irrigation Associations for On-Farm Water Management Project
- Behaviour Change Communication
- Assessment of Options for Community Benefit Sharing for CASA-1000
- Urban Solidarity Programme
- Reintegration of Returnees and IDPs through Policy, Planning and Targeted Assistance (EU8)
- Strengthening Municipal and Community Development in Lashkar Gah – Phase III
- Peace-Building in Afghanistan through Consolidation of Community Solidarity (PACCS)
- Reintegration of Returnees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) through Policy, Planning and Targeted Assistance (EC7)
- Strengthening Municipal and Community Governance in Lashkar Gah - Phase II
- Community Empowerment and Development for Peace Building
- Learning for Community Empowerment Programme (LCEP Phase 2)
- Reintegration of Returnees and IDPs through Policy, Planning and Targeted Assistance (EC6)
- Behaviour Change and Communication
- Governance and Development Support Programme in Kandahar (GDSP)
- NSP - Spinboldak and Khakrez in District of Kandahar
- Upgrading Informal Settlements in Kandahar City
- Youth Empowerment Project (YEP)
- Inter-Communal Rural Development Project (IRDP)