Background and Objectives
Based on the successful completion of LCEP-1, LCEP-2 is designed as a Ministry of Education Programme to implement a National Literacy Strategy that enables the government to extend literacy activities to a national scale. LCEP-2 contributes to the goals, objectives and targeted indicators of the National Literacy Strategy/Programme.
The USAID funded LCEP-2 provides literacy training to approximately 312,000 people in 20 Provinces of whom 60% are women. The literacy training includes health awareness on life saving measures and enables participants to read and understand health message from other programmes i.e. those implemented by UNICEF and WHO. The literacy programmes includes a range of livelihood skills and practical knowledge of community banking. The acquisition of livelihood skills and support to community banking are project sub components.
LCEP-2 programme team works very closely with government counterparts while building their capacity to manage the programme. LCEP-2 gradually phases out as the government counterparts take charge of the activities. Ministry of Education will have full and complete capacity to continue to roll out nationally by the end of the programme.
The main activities include:
* Promoting sustainable nationwide training system through establishment of National Literacy Centre (NLC) to deliver and support community-based and managed, integrated lifelong learning, literacy and productive skills training;
* Developing National Literacy Programme (NLP) Institutional Framework, and developing the NLP Community Based Materials Pedagogy and a National Literacy and Productive Skills Programme;
* Developing materials responding to needs identified by rural communities (e.g. finance; business; production; communal management and administration);
* Building and consolidating community capacity through CDC, Community Learning Committees, Youth Committees and Community Banks for management of the learning environment;
* Establishing, training and consolidating government support structures at the district, provincial and national level for the support, management and oversight of the National Literacy Plan implementation.
* A total of 6,575 Literacy Centres (2,650 for male and 3,925 for female) has been established.
* A total of 152,572 people (60,994 males and 91,578 females) participate and learn at the Literacy Centres in 20 provinces.
* In total, 9,527 Self-Help Learning Groups (3,418 for male and 6,109 for female) have been formed in both urban and rural communities for community self-savings.
* In all 20 provinces, 25,863,215 Afghani (around US$517,000) have been saved by the communities.
Development Partners / Partners
Development Partners: United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
Partners: Ministry of Education (MoE), Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development (MRRD), Ministry of Women Affairs, Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs
- Community Development Project: National Solidarity Programme (NSP)
- Future of Afghan Cities Programme (FoAC)
- Kabul Solidarity Programme Phase 2
- Community-Based Municipal Support Programme
- Kabul Solidarity Programme
- Developing Irrigation Associations for On-Farm Water Management Project
- Behaviour Change Communication
- Assessment of Options for Community Benefit Sharing for CASA-1000
- Urban Solidarity Programme
- Reintegration of Returnees and IDPs through Policy, Planning and Targeted Assistance (EU8)
- Strengthening Municipal and Community Development in Lashkar Gah – Phase III
- Peace-Building in Afghanistan through Consolidation of Community Solidarity (PACCS)
- Reintegration of Returnees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) through Policy, Planning and Targeted Assistance (EC7)
- Strengthening Municipal and Community Governance in Lashkar Gah - Phase II
- Community Empowerment and Development for Peace Building
- Learning for Community Empowerment Programme (LCEP Phase 2)
- Reintegration of Returnees and IDPs through Policy, Planning and Targeted Assistance (EC6)
- Behaviour Change and Communication
- Governance and Development Support Programme in Kandahar (GDSP)
- NSP - Spinboldak and Khakrez in District of Kandahar
- Upgrading Informal Settlements in Kandahar City
- Youth Empowerment Project (YEP)
- Inter-Communal Rural Development Project (IRDP)